Jump to Navigation

How can I maintain a relationship with my children?

When a family splits due to divorce, it is difficult for everyone. As a parent, you need to work to make things as easy on your children as possible. If you are the parent leaving the family home, this poses some challenges. You have to find a way to maintain your relationship and make adjusting easy for them.

According to Aha! Parenting, one of the main things you should do to stay close to your children after divorce is to keep the lines of communication open. You should talk to them often whether you call them or use text messaging. Check in often to see how they are doing or to just discuss the day's events.

You also need to stay involved. It can be easy to let things slide when you are not with them all the time. Make sure you do not start slacking in your parenting. The only thing that should change is your residence. If you always went to your child's ball games, then you should still go. You need to make an effort.

You also need to work with your ex-spouse. Being on the same side makes things easier. You will avoid fights and find it is smoother to parent together. You can also work together to avoid making things difficult for the children and to limit the changes that impact them.

Trying to keep things as much the same as possible is important in a divorce situation. You will find it makes the whole situation much better for your children. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Lorrie J. Zahodnic

"I will hold you up until you can stand on your own two feet."

Lorrie J. Zahodnic, P.C. has provided skilled and compassionate legal guidance to Michiganders in family law matters for over 20 years.

Learn More About Lorrie
Have A Question? Ask Lorrie

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed
Review Us
FindLaw Network