Jump to Navigation

How child support may be changed

When parents are married, they may not spend time thinking about whose income paid for the braces, or how much each of them contributed to the child care expenses. After a Michigan divorce, these questions become paramount. Some situations may make it difficult for a single parent who has been ordered to pay child support to keep up. According to the Michigan Supreme Court, a modification of the order may be possible, depending on several factors. 

The Friend of the Court may review a case every three years, but if there is a change in circumstances, a parent might request one sooner. The change typically must show that income or expenses have gone up or down significantly since the original order. The evidence should show that the difference makes the current amount unfair to one party or the other. The process must not take more than 180 days from review to final ruling.

A parent could also file a motion with the court without going through the Friend of the Court. This process comes with court fees, and a person must be prepared to provide solid evidence as to the need for modification. A frivolous motion could result in a fine.

The Michigan Department of Health & Human Services explains that evidence of the need for child support modification may include the following:

  • The parent's last four pay stubs
  • Employer statement of year-to-date earnings, including wages and deductions
  • Income tax or business tax returns

If a parent has any other documentation that shows the change in circumstances, that may also be provided to the Friend of the Court for review.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Lorrie J. Zahodnic

"I will hold you up until you can stand on your own two feet."

Lorrie J. Zahodnic, P.C. has provided skilled and compassionate legal guidance to Michiganders in family law matters for over 20 years.

Learn More About Lorrie
Have A Question? Ask Lorrie

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed
Review Us
FindLaw Network