Jump to Navigation

Can I force my ex-spouse to obey the divorce decree?

After all your assets and debts have been divided fairly between you and your ex-spouse, and a Michigan judge has issued your final divorce decree, it should be time to start over and move on. But what if you get a bill that your ex was supposed to pay, but did not? What if your spousal support check never comes in the mail? This could be contempt of court, and according to MichiganLegalHelp.org, you have options.

To communicate with the court what it is that your former spouse has failed to do, you need to fill out the Notice of Hearing and Motion. This allows you to give the details of the situation, including how the requirements of the judgment of divorce are not being carried out. When you go to the court to file your documents, you can request a hearing date.

At least nine days out from the date you are given, you have to send copies of the paperwork to your former spouse. This gives him or her time to prepare an answer, as each of you will have an opportunity to present your case to the judge who signed your original divorce decree. If you have asked the court for a specific relief, such as the payment of alimony, and the judge grants the motion, your ex-spouse may have to reimburse you. He or she may also be held in contempt of court.

This information is provided to give you a general idea of the actions you can take to ensure that your former spouse honors your judgment of divorce. However, it should not be interpreted as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Lorrie J. Zahodnic

"I will hold you up until you can stand on your own two feet."

Lorrie J. Zahodnic, P.C. has provided skilled and compassionate legal guidance to Michiganders in family law matters for over 20 years.

Learn More About Lorrie
Have A Question? Ask Lorrie

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed
Review Us
FindLaw Network