Jump to Navigation

August 2015 Archives

HB 4845 may make moving harder for parents who share custody

In the Michigan House of Representatives, a legislator has introduced a bill that could create significant changes for divorced parents. Proposed house bill 4845 is an amendment to the Child Custody Act of 1970, which poses relocation restrictions on a parent who wants to change the child’s legal residence. The current law states that when a child is residing with both parents, neither parent can move more than 100 miles away from the original residence when the court order was issued. The new legislation would change that distance to 50 miles as measured on a vehicle’s odometer.

What can I do if my child is taken by the other parent?

If the other parent has taken your child without your consent, you may or may not have available options, depending on the situation. For example, if you are still married to the parent and there is no court order regarding custody, then legally, you cannot claim that you hold physical custody of your child. This means the other parent has the legal right to take your child, even if you are currently estranged or separated. However, in the event of an emergency, such as your child has a medical condition and the parent did not take the necessary medical prescriptions or equipment, then you would probably be able to get your child back into your care.

How does property division affect business owners in Michigan?

Michigan is an equitable division state, which means that the marital assets are divided in a way that the judge thinks is fair. If you own a company and you are going through a divorce, you may be concerned about how this will affect your ability to stay in business. The Huffington Post explains that the value of the company must first be determined before an equitable division can take place.

Modifying custody arrangements when parents do not agree

When the original child custody agreement you have with your ex-spouse is no longer working, coming to a new agreement can be difficult. At the Law Offices of Lorrie J. Zahodnic, we understand that change can be challenging for all involved, especially when parents do not agree on the best outcome. If the changes are significant, Michigan support guidelines state that you may file a child custody case so that the judge can review all of the factors and determine what is in the best interests of the child.

Lorrie J. Zahodnic

"I will hold you up until you can stand on your own two feet."

Lorrie J. Zahodnic, P.C. has provided skilled and compassionate legal guidance to Michiganders in family law matters for over 20 years.

Learn More About Lorrie
Have A Question? Ask Lorrie

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed
Review Us
FindLaw Network