Jump to Navigation

How does child support modification work in Michigan?

Are you receiving or paying child support, but don’t necessarily agree with the amount? At the Law Office of Lorrie J. Zahodnic, P.C., we deal with this and similar questions on a daily basis in the Clinton Township area. Whether you receive or pay child support or are looking to decrease or increase the payment, there are legal options in place for you to request and receive changes.

Life rarely stays on one straight and narrow course. For most people, life’s changes are like a roller coaster, with constant twists and turns and a variety of circumstances. That means for those who pay or receive child support, the amount needed or the amount available can fluctuate over time. If you are a payer and you have suffered a significant loss of income, then you might be entitled to have your payment decreased.

On the other hand, if you receive payments but they are not sufficient for your child’s care then you might be eligible to receive more money. Both or either parent can request a child support modification, but nothing will change unless someone takes action.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that when parents make a change in their legal custody situation, child support won’t automatically change, according to MichiganLegalHelp.org. The child support amount will remain the same until one of the parties files a motion to modify the amount.

If you receive or pay child support and have questions regarding the modification of that amount, then you can learn more about this issue on our child support page.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Lorrie J. Zahodnic

"I will hold you up until you can stand on your own two feet."

Lorrie J. Zahodnic, P.C. has provided skilled and compassionate legal guidance to Michiganders in family law matters for over 20 years.

Learn More About Lorrie
Have A Question? Ask Lorrie

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed
Review Us
FindLaw Network